Saturday, August 4, 2012

On my way... Almost.

The last month has been devoted to "see you later's" and I must admit I am a bit exhausted and sad from the process (although I am confident that both sentiments will pass). I've been in Oregon this past week reconnecting with some important people and spending many hours in coffee shops. While it has been time well spent it has also led my tired state... I've spent almost every night with a different friend and have been reminded that I'm not particularly fond of the vagabond lifestyle. I have also become increasingly aware of how blessed I am by my community of friends, family, and mentors in the Northwest and find myself missing them already.

That said, this coming Monday I will be leaving for California and am really looking forward to settling into my new home. No regrets here! I am fully confident that this is the Lord's will and have great joy in that. My friend Violet will be accompanying me on my travels down and staying with me for a week to help me get moved into the condo. I am so grateful for her generosity of time and resources as she shares the beginning of a new adventure with me.

I have been asked on several occasions what I am most looking forward to and what I feel most challenged by in the upcoming season of graduate studies and SoCal living. Although I don't always feel I have ready answers for those questions the process of hearing them multiple times has given me the opportunity to reflect on my hopes and concerns.

I am excited to be a student again. To study, read textbooks, and write papers. To intentionally and actively learn how to serve God's people better and develop into a competent professional that reflects His light. I am eager to start my assistantship and begin my journey in serving students as a career, as well as embrace the structure and guidance of a healthy work environment. I look forward to providing my undergraduate interns with support, encouragement, and mentorship, and to affirm their value and help them realize their potential. I am also excited to rest in where God has placed and be open to His teaching and blessing in this new season.

I know that I will also be facing transition with such a significant life change. I've been lovingly warned that I will be experiencing some major cultural differences moving from Eastern Washington to Southern California :) I am not a city girl and definitely prefer landscape to concrete and two lane highways to multi-lane freeways, but I know that God has led me here and trust that I will come to love SoCal too. If not for it's unique beauty and diversity, for what He works in my life during my time there.

Thank you for your love, support, and prayers! I am so blessed to have you as part of my story.

No comments: