Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My very own California adventure

Landscape near West Campus. The "A" is for the city of Azusa.
Azusa is a special place in that instantly I felt comforted and hopeful that I could call this area home for awhile. In some ways it reminds me a lot of the Tri-Cities. In other ways it differs greatly. I'm not sure that I can pinpoint exactly what makes me feel at ease here beyond that it just feels familiar to me and that God has been so intentional to start the process of weaving community together for me.

First day surprises :)
When I first arrived my time was mostly devoted to deep cleaning and organizing my belongings in the condo. There was a bit more work to be done than I had anticipated, but that's all taken care of now and I am very happy to with where I've ended up. I live near campus with three wonderful roommates (Laurelyn, Yazmin, and Saemi).

About two weeks ago I started my assistantship at the Center for Academic Service Learning & Research (CASLR). I was greeted on my first day with a welcome sign and gift (and my own name plaque!). The first few days were focused on just laying a foundation of what APU and CASLR are all about, and getting to know ourselves and our team (i.e. Myers-Briggs, StrengthsQuest, workplace values). There are several full-time, permanent staff in the office, as well as a total of five graduate assistants (GA's). I have really enjoyed the process of getting to know everyone. After the first week the supervisors and GA's went on a hike together for some bonding time.

From Left to Right: me, Adrian, Cindy, Rhea, Anthony, Stacie
Overall I have been extremely reassured about what a positive experience my assistantship will be by the thoroughness and intentionality of the training. The office supervisors want to build us up as competent and effective professionals and team players, but are also interested in knowing our stories and personal goals. Our theme for the year is "Journeying Together."

Last week was more independent for the GA's as we individually explore materials and procedures that have to do with our roles. My role as the Coordinator for Student Professional Development is highly focused around providing mentorship and growth opportunities for the undergraduate interns (a.k.a service learning advocates or SLA's). I am really looking forward to this role.

This week the GA's are participating in and assisting with SLA training. It has been an exciting and exhausting week so far, and with that I think I will bring this entry to a close :)

A snapshot of West campus where I will have most of my classes.

No comments: